New web cam for 2018. Also Race Office weather panel.
Switch ‘On’ and ‘Off’ with the red button on the front of the radio. When switching ‘On’, the radio will light up and give a slightly delayed 4 note response.
When switched ‘On’, the green light on the top flashes every 5 seconds. When switching ‘Off’, depress the red button for a few seconds until you obtain one beep. Check that the flashing green light has gone off.
The knob on top selects the channel. In use this is normally set fully anti-clockwise at channel 1. The two buttons with ‘arrows on’ on the front adjust the volume. Orange button on the top - press it and if the radio is switched ‘On’ the front panel will light up. Note: probably difficult to see in bright sunshine.
This probably means that the battery is getting low or near end of it's life. Report this in the Bosun’s log.
The bare radio is waterproof but NOT buoyant (and is worth £200). If the float is missing or punctured, fit a new one before taking it on the water.
Using the Radio
- Always do a radio check before going out on to the water.
- To speak - depress the ‘prestel switch’. Do not immediately talk otherwise the receiving radios only get the last half of what you are saying. Obviously let the ‘prestel’ switch go if you want to hear a reply.
- Start with who you are eg ‘rescue boat’ or ‘shore radio’ …..call who you want to speak to eg ‘rescue boat to tea bar - Over’. When they reply (ie identify themselves) then give your message.
- RADIO SPEAK - is not necessary but useful to know - use ‘OVER’ if you expect a reply. Say ‘OUT’if you end the conversion. Never say ‘Over and out’ that is totally contradictory. Radio use should be kept to minimum.
- If an emergency happens on the water and is being dealt with - DO NOT USE THE RADIO- These radios cannot handle multiple conversations. Hogging the ‘prestel’ switch stops others speaking. Use you eyes and ears first, otherwise shut up.
Place the radio in the charger base so that the charging light illuminates. Jiggle the radio as needed until you get a red light displayed on the charger base, otherwise the radio will not charge.
Check that all ENTEL radios are ‘Off’ by transmitting using one of the stand-by KENWOOD Radios. If a radio is still switched 'On' you will hear a sound and see the green light on the top of the radio come on.
RADIOS LEFT SWITCHED ‘On’ WILL NOT CHARGE, Irrespective of which of the lights are showing.
The charging unit light starts off red and becomes green when the radio is fully charged.