Ladies Fun Day
This will suit ladies of ALL abilities
Saturday 10th Aug. 2024
A free Ladies fun day for members.
- Meet 1pm in the Clubhouse.
- Choose Sailing fun and games on the water or a walk round the reservoir.
- Meet back in clubhouse 3.30 pm for afternoon tea.
- Please bring sandwiches or small cakes to share.
- All ladies welcome.
Please let us know if you are coming if possible, via Webcollect, but not essential.
Running Races and Building Security
Choose one Saturday 25th May / 22nd June / 17th Aug
The Duty Officer is responsible for opening the club and making it secure at the end of the day. With the assistance of the Boat Officer will ensure the days activities are run in a safe and proper manner.
The aim of this one day is to demystify the Duty Officer’s role and show how easy it is. If you have 'had a go' at racing then you CAN be a Duty Officer. The day is informal and limited to a maximum of 2 participants so that everyone can see properly what goes on. The club has a Duty Officers Manual which goes into great detail about the aspects of the job. There are printed copies available after the course or if you wish can can download a PDF copy. The link is within or Password protected pages.
The training of DO"s are not restricted to those dates. Dates come up time to time where Duty Officer Trainers are running races and they will be more the happy to run a course on a one to one basis.
Contact Paul Deakin / Clive de la Fuente / Stewart Elder.
COURSE CONTENT :
- 1. ON THE SHORE
- Duty Officer responsibilities - Opening Up - Brief your Team - Locking Up.
- 2. ON THE WATER
- Getting Stan Ready - Equipment - Set–up Procedure - Setting a Course—Set a Start Line -Returning to Anchorage - Finishing Checklist
- 3. COURSE SUGGESTIONS
- Using the ‘S’ Mark – Line/Gate – Winds from Various Directions.
- 4. TYPES OF RACING
- Personal Handicap - Pursuit Racing - Thursday Races - Handicap Races
- 5. RUN A RACE-EIGHTDOG RACE TIMER
- Features - Before Starting - Handicap racing - Recalls - Finishing - Time log - Pursuit Racing - Reset to Handicap Race.
- 6. RUN A RACE-OLD RACE TIMER
- Handicap Racing - Recalls - Finishing - Shorten course - Multiple Fleets - Rewind Timer -Pursuit Racing - Pursuit Race length
- 7. USING SAILWAVE
- 8. HOLLOWELL RACE FLAGS
- Race Flag Explanation - Flag Sequence - Official Notice Board - Hollowell Sailing Instructions
- 9. SERIOUS INCIDENT
Duty Officer (Non-Race)
The DO (Non-race) will supervise the club on occasions when sailing is taking place and there is NO organised racing. This occurs on Tuesday evenings and sometimes on Bank Holidays.
This person will need to be PB2 qualified and is expected to patrol the water with a rescue boat. This is not a formal course - make contact and we will spend about 1 hour at the club going through the procedures at a mutual suitable time.
Contact Stewart Elder for more information about both roles
RYA First Aid Course
Course One - Sat 17th Feb 2024
The RYA First Aid Course is designed to teach you what to do in many of the situations where people have accidents whilst on a small craft, from how to resuscitate someone to how to treat minor cuts.
This course is useful for anyone who goes out on the water and at the end of the course you will qualify for the RYA First Aid Certificate which is valid for 3 years from time of issue.
The key aims of the RYA First Aid Course are to ensure that the student is able to:
- Perform CPR and know how this differs on a drowned person
- Understand the effect of cold shock and how to treat hypothermia from immersion and exposure
- Recognise the signs and implications of reduced responsiveness in a person with a head injury
- Apply direct pressure to a wound and control bleeding.
- Recognise and treat seasickness and dehydration
- Obtain medical advice and assistance using the VHF radio
- Know how to prepare for helicopter evacuation
- Demonstrate how to turn a casualty into the recovery position
- Understanding the importance of maintaining the airway
These are popular courses and priority places are given to HSC Instructors
Book your place through WebCollect
Contact Clive de la Fuente for more information EMAIL
Duty Officers Guide
Every last possible detail is in here (password protected pages).
PB2 and Safety boat courses.
Our online payment system and date checker.